Saturday, March 19, 2011

Mar 19, Sat

  Yesterday was a long day for us. We went to my sisters home and took her to the service to celebrate her husbands life. They would have been married 37 years this August. Bob and I always went to a nice dinner together and exchanged gifts, as our anniversary was in August too. Susan has told me a lot about "pastor Koe" and now I know why. His message was of hope and was comforting to us all. We went up to Rose Hills, where my Mom and Dad, Grandmother and sister are, and now Paul is there too. The airforce cadets, in full uniform did a flag service and played taps. It was very nice, and Susan will give the flag to Paul's daughter, Shelia. We went back to Susan's home and stayed and visited with friends, and we left around 5:30pm. Due to traffic and a stop for a soda we got home about 7pm. I had fed the horses so much hay in the morning I thought there would be some left until the next morning, but all was gone and I was met with whinny's from both. I fed more hay and went almost into the house when the mare, followed by the colt ,stormed into the arena, bucking and thundering in anger! She again called out, demanding her supplement bucket!! I was put off and came into the house and told my husband the horses where having a tantrum. He turned on backyard lights and watched her pace the fence line with the colt leaping and bucking behind her!He kept making comments about her being upset until I turned the lights off and closed the slider and curtains. I realized how much they depended on things being the same all the time. I did feel bad for the mare, she is a real chow hound, 9 I am too)the colt just does what she does, like a good baby. So today at lunch time I did separate them and fed them the supplements. While I raked the arena the mare opened her stall door(I had not locked it) and strolled out to eat the knee high grass growing around the barn area. I finished up and went to the barn and got her bucket and put 1 cup of soybean pellets into it. I showed her the bucket and shook it so she knew something was in it and her eyes lit up and with a mouthful of grass she trotted happily into her stall and gobbled up the extra treat. I patted and scratched her shoulder. She was such a good horse, no trouble at all. I have always been able to get her to go back into her stall after an escape, by placing something nice to eat in it. She caught on to this real fast, and has sometimes, when I have found her loose, hurried back to her stall and stood inside it, peeking out the wide open door, waiting for me to bring her special treat to her! They really want to cooperate with us, they only time problems happen is when we go too fast or do not make it clear who is in charge. All horses must know who is the leader. Once they know this they relax and go with the flow. It is very simple to them, we are the ones that make it blurry and confusing to them. Tonight when I feed dinner, they will get another small treat of supplements, just like the expect, I will keep the routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment