Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tuesday horsework

On Tue, the 8th, I got Geertsje,(pronounced Geert-cha)out to work with. I put the Zilco harnes on her, just the saddle and full britching, and breast collar, and the too big Davis splint boots. I put the chain link drag in the arena with the big heavy truck tire on top of it, along with the blinker bridle, dressage whip, driving lines and gloves. I wanted to work with her as we walked thru the stall doorways. She can be a bit clostruphobic about tight spots, and one time we went thru a narrow gate and the western saddle stirrups banged and she spooked forward, slightly paniced, toward me. I stopped her and had her back thru the gate(this took some time) and walk one step forward with lots of control.( I had a big Morgan I bought years ago,that would leap thru all gates and run you down, so I am very cautious about this). She always tries so hard to understand what I want, and picked it up, after a few quick steps with the hind legs. I did notice that she tends to get MENTALLY stuck, and so do her legs, if she knows there is a step behind her hind legs. The front legs move back, and the worried face and raised head do not help her to coordinate and lift her hind feet AND move them backwards!She is so much like me!I am not a natural dancer or cook! I must study and practice and follow the directions! I was struck again that I must do more gymnastick type exercises with her to help her unstick her feet. I hooked and drove her all around, smoothing the arena and steering her into the little dips, it was harder for me to smoothly handle the reins and whip when we were off the fence line, but we did do several figure eights fairly nice. Back in the barn way I had her ground tied,(I am trying this with both horses) and went to pick her left hind foot up. (when I first got her she had almost kicked my then trainer a few times with her hind feet!)and she was jerking away from me and stomping it down! I smacked her for it and she trotted off across the yard into a corner!I forgot about the ground tie! Zues, tied on the pole snorted and trotted around as I went and caught her and put her back with cross ties on and cleaned all feet with no trouble. I put her in the wash rack and stood on a stool to treat her ears for dry itchy spots from nats and that too became a point of "no your not! and Oh yes I am" We had such a great time driving and yet it ended on a those 2 things. I tied her up to blanket her( I usually don't but taking no chances!) and put Zues away and fed them and came in the house.I was very happy with the work I just wished I understood why sometimes things are hard. Note to self: be more observant, maybe ground tie should be saved for a lesson on it's own.


No comments:

Post a Comment